Pasta And Chicken Salad!
So the successful first try of that Chicken Salad was truly inspiring. So much so that since making it, it has become a regular dish for me and I’ve cooked it something like 4 more times since writing that post with the recipe. quick to make, delicious as all hell. and not stupidly expensive to buy ingredients for.
With that in mind though, i’m not interested in surviving on just one new dish i’ve learned to do, however tasty it might be. Therefore, just the other day, i tried another one! Madness i know. This time, it was a pasta and chicken salad. Not bathed in light mayo, just a simple salad from a… i believe Norwegian cookbook for students. This one too was quite easy in the makings of it, and not too elaborate as far as time spent. And the result, with one minor exception was great! i thought so anyway, and i made the damn thing!
So what you need for it is, and keep in mind to use common sense and your own intuition as far as sizes and amounts also:
- Decent amount of Penne Pasta (whole grain or normal, whatever catches your fancy)
- 1 filleted chicken breast (recipe said 200 grams, but again, not big on following numbers)
- Sensible amount of Cherry Tomatoes
- Half or less than half of a red onion
- Cheese (recipe says feta, we used Leerdamer)
- Half a thing of Pesto (Sets that fresh a taste that you should use plenty!)
- Two handfuls of Rocket (adds a little bitter to your thing)
- Salt And Pepper (Just to bring out some extra taste)
- Butter, (for cooking the chicken)
- 1 dice of Vegetable soup stock (For cooking the pasta, if you are scratching your head at this, then omg are you in for a treat!)
- Boil the water for the pasta, add the dice of vegetable soup stock into the water, and stir until dice has disintegrated. add the pasta, and cook until its cooked well, optionally you can coat it with some butter after its finished cooking, this just enriches the flavour and takes away the dry consistency you get from pasta when it sits too long.
- Dice the chicken breast, sprinkle some salt over it (Optionally can also sprinkle some chicken spices for a little extra kick of taste)
- cook the chicken with a decent amount of butter in a frying pan until its cooked all the way through, and put the pan to the side.
- slice or dice the tomatoes and the red onion (ON A DIFFERENT CUTTING BOARD, AND WITH A DIFFERENT KNIFE THAN YOU DID THE RAW CHICKEN, YOU FILTHY ANIMAL!)
- Take all the ingredients you have prepared to this point, add them in a large mixing bowl, add pesto and stir thoroughly until pesto has coated most of the dish. sprinkle in the 2 hands of rocket and stir a little more. And VOILA!
- Eat your food, and rinse your plate after. and you are done! 😀