I am assigned to the role of Content creator on this first project for the Manipulating Media module of my studies.
We have been assigned a task of creating a youtube video. it should be 3 minutes in max length, with the intent to entice a demographic of 16-17 year old male and female’s who are “on the fence” about studying media because of the heavy price that comes with it.
When the task was given 2 weeks ago, i was very quick to give the notion that this is very much a “newspaper, thumbnail and title” operation. We are dealing with a young audience that needs to be interested early, and hooked immediately, or they won’t pay much attention to what we are presenting. With that in mind, we started thinking at what angle we could approach this, what exactly we would be producing.
An idea had popped into my head once i read the brief, with a handful of passion for the image my mind had painted for me, and poor language, i laid out my idea to the group. Once i had explained it and everybody understood, i was asked to word it in text so everybody could either agree or disagree with my vision.
The Idea was simple enough, i pictured a narrative of a young individual going to a job interview, poorly dressed, and nervous, entering a media environment where everyone is sharply dressed and confident in their own ability. We get to see the interview. Where the person is asked a simple question “do you think you are qualified for this role?” here it freeze frames. cuts to a montage of this young individual studying, set to the sound of a narrator telling you exactly why you should study media. towards the end, it cuts back to the interview, where the person is all of a sudden sharply dressed, and seems more exuberant and confident in their ability as they respond to the interviewers question “i dont think so….. i know so”
The idea was approved by the project manager Evan. and so i set about penning down exactly how the project was supposed to be shot. it left a lot of leeway for the researchers part of the work, but still has to be 3 minutes. Since that day i’ve been storyboarding the idea with as much detail as i could, determining camera angles, framing, movements, mannerisms, light, length of the shots, etc.
As i write this i have finished 2 storyboards of 8 angles each. it encapsulates the first of my three part narrative. The middle part is more open, and will let me and the group play more with angles and. and the third part we will shoot on the same day as the first part. i am very confident that we will manage this project, even if the task im doing at large will depend on what i’ve learned this year and my own imagination.
We start capturing the video on friday, with a full production, big cameras, tripods, dollies, sound recording. all with the intent of making our project as good as possible with the means we have available.
Thats the progress i’ve made on my end since we were briefed on the project.